- terrestrial /tuh-RES-tree-uhl/
- mesmerize /MEZ-muh-rahyz/
- phenomenal /fi-NOM-uh-nl/
- venture /VEN-cher/
- one for the books /wuhn-fer-thuh-books/
[adjective] – relating to the earth
Laura studies both marine and terrestrial animals.
[verb] – to have someone’s attention completely so that they cannot think of anything else
We were all mesmerized by the beauty of the town.
[adjective] – extremely successful or special, especially in a surprising way
The group’s musical performance was absolutely phenomenal!
[verb] – to risk going somewhere or doing something that might be dangerous or unpleasant
He ventured out into the woods with a camera.
[idiom] – something notably surprising, shocking, historic, or unexpected
Their journey to the mountain will surely be one for the books!
Baia dos Porcos
©Nido Huebl/Adobe Stock via CNN
Also known as “Pig’s Bay,” Baia dos Porcos is one of the most magnificent beaches in the world, but with hardly any sand. This beach is the smallest of Noronha archipelago’s signature beaches. It features turquoise waters with colorful fish surrounded by high walls of black stone.
Chapada dos Veadeiros National Park
Eraldo Peres/AP via CNN
Travelers will surely be mesmerized by the boundless forests, majestic mountains, and stunning waterfalls that make up this national park. For those interested in extraterrestrials, Chapada is the place to be! Many people have reported UFO sightings in the park.
Emas National Park
Delfim Martins/Adobe Stock via CNN
Home to the rare maned wolf and other wild species, this remote place welcomes all kinds of explorers. For those visiting from September to October, a phenomenal surprise awaits! Glowing termite mounds can be found in the park at night.
Anyone who dares to venture into these places would surely be rewarded with an experience that’s one for the books.
- Describe some less-traveled places in your country.
- Which among the places in the article would you recommend to your family and friends? Why?
- How can you promote tourism in your city? Please give some ideas.
- Should more people around the world know about the unique places in Brazil?
- In your opinion, why are national parks important?