© BBC News
- What health problems do you worry about the most and why?
- Do you think all diseases will one day be wiped out? Why or why not?
- sensor /SEN-sawr/
- insulin /IN-suh-lin/
- automated /AA-tuh-may-tuhd/
- enroll /en-ROHL/
- utilize /YOOT-l-ahyz/
[noun] – a device that is used to record that something is present or that there are changes in something
The vibration sensor determines the vehicle’s movements.
[noun] – a hormone in the body that controls the amount of sugar in the blood
He’s required to have insulin injections for his diabetes.
[adjective] – carried out by machines or computers without needing human control
The manufacturing process is now fully automated.
[verb] – to put yourself or someone else on an official list for an activity or for membership in a group, or to accept someone in such a list
The medical centers will enroll twenty patients in the pilot project.
[verb] – to use something in an effective way
We must decide on how to utilize our remaining resources.
Almost 400,000 citizens of the United Kingdom have type 1 diabetes. The pilot program has enrolled 875 people, totaling 1,000 people anticipated to participate. The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) will review the results and determine where the technology should be utilized more widely. Prof. Partha Kar of NHS said: “Having machines monitor and deliver medication for diabetes patients sounds quite sci-fi-like, but technology and machines are part and parcel of how we live our lives every day.”
- What does the artificial pancreas use to eliminate the need for finger-stick testing?
- When do hypoglycaemic episodes happen?
- Is the hybrid method completely automated?
- How many people in the United Kingdom have type 1 diabetes?
- What organization will review the results of the pilot test?
- How many carbohydrates do you think you consume in a day? Do you think it is enough or not? Please tell me more about it.
- What is your opinion on your country’s healthcare services?
- If you were to find out you were at risk for contracting a particular disease, would you want to know? Why or why not?
- Do you think the new device made is child-friendly?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of this new technology?