©Issei kato via Reuters
- What are your favorite dishes?
- Do you often buy chopsticks?
- solution /suh-loo-shuhn/
- invent /in-VENT/
- flavor /FLEY-ver/
- device /dih-VAHYS/
- amount /uh-AMOUNT/
[noun] – the answer to a problem
The solution to traffic is improved public transportation.
[verb] – to design and/or create something that has never been made before
Erno Rubik invented the Rubik’s Cube.
[noun] – how food or drink tastes, or a particular taste itself
Cookies and cream is my favorite ice cream flavor.
[noun] – an object or machine that has been invented for a particular purpose
Dani shops for devices on Amazon.
[noun] – how much something is
You only need a small amount of chocolate for this recipe.
Japanese cuisine is generally quite high in sodium. For those who need to cut down on salt in their diets, a pair of electric chopsticks might just be the solution. Meiji University professor Homei Miyashita and beverage maker Kirin Holdings Company have invented computerized chopsticks that increase flavor without adding salt.
According to Miyashita, the chopsticks improve tastes through electrical stimulation and a mini-computer worn on a wristband. The device uses a weak electrical current to send sodium ions from food, through the chopsticks, to the mouth, making food 1.5 times saltier. Miyashita previously invented a lickable TV screen that can copy various food flavors.
Based on a report by World Health Organization, the average Japanese adult consumes about 10 grams of salt per day. “To prevent diseases, we need to reduce the amount of salt we take,” said Kirin researcher Ai Sato. Miyashita and Kirin are still making changes to the chopsticks before selling them.
True or False:
- Meiji University professor Homei Miyashita and beverage maker Kirin Holdings Company have created the electric chopsticks.
- The electric chopsticks make food 1.5 times sweeter.
- Miyashita previously created a lickable TV screen.
- According to WHO, the average Japanese adult consumes about 10 grams of sugar per day.
- According to Kirin researcher Ai Sato, people need to reduce the amount of salt they take to prevent diseases.
Fill in the blanks:
- Alexander Graham Bell _________ the telephone
- Some people consider yoga as a _______ to stress.
- This _______ is a bit too much for me.
- Please add a large ______ of tomato sauce to the stew.
- This store fixes all kinds of __________.