©The National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo / MOMAT/DNPartcom via BBC
- Do you like art?
- What type of art do you like?
- animation /an-uh-MEY-shuhn/
- artwork /AHRT-wurk/
- dislike /dis-LAHYK/
- fear /feer/
- pass /pahs/
[noun] – moving images created from drawings, models, etc. that are photographed or created by a computer
They used computer animation in the recent film.
[noun] – the pieces of art, such as drawings and photographs, that are used in books, newspapers, and magazines
All artwork you see in the room is done by my daughter.
[verb] – to not like someone or something
Sean seems to dislike any form of exercise.
[noun] – an unpleasant emotion or thought that you have when you are frightened or worried by something dangerous, painful, or bad that is happening or might happen
I have a fear of dark places.
[verb] – to give something to someone
Could you pass the salt here, please?
Tusalava (1929) by Len Lye, New Zealand
© Stills Collection, Ngā Taonga Sound and Vision / Courtesy of the Len Lye Foundation via BBC
Lye was inspired to make this 10-minute animation by the Arrernte people of Central Australia’s legends about moth larvae and artworks from the Māori people and Samoa.
Sea (1929) by Koga Harue, Japan
© The National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo / MOMAT/DNPartcom via BBC
“Sea” was created to show retaliation against the European Surrealism that Koga and his companions dislike.
Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (1943) by Dorothea Tanning, USA
© Tate / DACS, 2022 via BBC
Tanning discovered a way to show her hidden goals and fears through a life-size doll and a girl who is stopped from entering a strange, open door by a big sunflower with torn petals.
Long Distance (1976-2005) by Ted Joans, USA
© Private collection / Ted Joans estate, courtesy of Laura Corsiglia via BBC
This is a 10-minute consequence game in which one player sketches a scene and then covers it so that the next player can add to it and pass it on.
True or False:
- Surrealism is a form of art that defies imagination, emotions, and dreams.
- “Tusalava” is a 10-minute animation by Len Lye.
- “Sea” was created in 1939.
- “Long Distance” was created by Dorothea Tanning.
- “Long Distance” is a 10-minute consequence game.
Fill in the blanks:
- This book’s _______ looks fantastic!
- Mina was able to overcome her _______ of heights.
- I _______ going to amusement parks. They make me feel very tired.
- Please _______ your papers forward.
- It’s now easier to create films using computer _______.