- When was the time you have been caught out in bad weather (e.g., snowstorm)? Please tell me about your experience.
- How does the weather affect your mood?
- vast /vast/
- treatment /TREET-muhnt/
- prevalent /PREV-uh-luhnt/
- episode /EP-uh-sohd/
- aggravate /AG-ruh-veyt/
[adjective] – extremely big
The national library has a vast collection of books.
[noun] – the use of drugs, exercises, etc. to cure a person of an illness or injury
Lily needs immediate dental treatment.
[adjective] – existing very commonly or happening often
Scientists note that this disease is more prevalent in children than adults.
[noun] – a single event or group of related events
This awesome birthday party is an episode in my life I’d never forget!
[verb] – to make a bad situation worse
Cutting down trees aggravates global warming.
The United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) estimated in 2016 that Iraq could have 300 dust episodes every year in the next ten years, up from roughly 120 presently. “One of the main sources of sand and dust storms is Iraq, where the flow of rivers has decreased because of a race in dam constructions in upstream countries,” explains World Meteorology Organisation meteorologist Enric Terradellas. Sand storms have always been a normal occurrence in the region’s deserts, but scientists believe that unsustainable mining, oil extraction, agriculture, and intense military conflicts are aggravating the situation. Sand and dust storms are increasingly occurring in new areas, such as Central Asia, according to meteorologists.
- According to the article, where were the flights suspended due to poor visibility?
- As of April 30, what was the visibility in some areas in Iraq?
- What has caused dust storms to become increasingly prevalent in the Middle East?
- How many dust episodes in Iraq did the UNEP estimate in 2016?
- What do scientists believe about sand storms?
- What meteorological hazards (e.g., sand storms) are common in your country? Please tell me more about them.
- Is the rainfall in your country enough to prevent drought? Please elaborate on your answer.
- If you were in Iraq, how would you make sure you are safe from the sand and dust storms?
- Can humans stop a natural occurrence such as sand storms?
- How can Iraq’s government solve the drought issue?