I will read each question. Then, please answer them.
- Has there been a snowstorm in your country?
- What month is the hottest in your country?
I will read the words, meanings, and sample sentences. Then, repeat after me.
- dust /duhst/
- certain /SUR-tn/
- grow /groh/
- environment /en-VAHY-ruhn-muhnt/
- worse /wurs/
[noun] – dry dirt in the form of powder that covers surfaces inside a building, or very small dry pieces of soil, sand, or other substances
His car was covered in dust.
[determiner] – particular but not named or described
Certain students may not be allowed to go on field trips.
[verb] – to increase in size or amount, or to become more advanced or developed
Soccer’s popularity has grown over the years.
[noun] – the air, water, and land in or on which people, animals, and plants live
Using bikes would be better for the environment.
[adjective] – more unpleasant, difficult, or severe than before or than something else that is also bad
We might have to cancel our plans if the rain gets any worse.
Please read the whole article. Then, I will check your pronunciation and intonation.
Major dust storm has hit much of Iraq, causing poor visibility at Baghdad and Najaf airports where flights were canceled. Visibility in certain parts of Iraq was less than 500 meters on Saturday, April 30. Additionally, hundreds of individuals required medical treatment for respiratory diseases caused by the dust storm. These storms have grown more common in the Middle East due to climate change and poor land and water management. According to the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), Iraq might suffer 300 dust events every year in the next ten years. Sand storms have long been a part of life in the region’s deserts, but scientists believe that unsustainable mining, oil production, agriculture, and intense military wars are making the problems worse. According to meteorologists, sand and dust storms are becoming more common in new places, such as Central Asia.
True or False:
Read the sentences and identify if they are true or false based on the article.
- Flights at Baghdad and Najaf airports were canceled due to poor visibility.
- Visibility in certain parts of Iraq was more than 500 meters on Saturday, April 30
- These storms have grown more common in the Middle East due to climate change.
- Iraq might suffer 300 dust events every year in the next ten years, according to the UNEP.
- Meteorologists say that sand and dust storms are not becoming more common.
Fill in the blanks:
Choose the correct word from the table then fill in the blanks.
- Smokers cannot travel to _______ parts of the train.
- The heat is much _______ in May in the Philippines.
- What can we do to help the _______?
- The number of members in the club has _______ larger.
- The old furniture is covered in a thick layer of _______.