- hazardous /HAZ-er-duhs/
- official /uh-FISH-uhl /
- globe /glohb /
- unprecedented /uhn-PRES-i-den-tid/
- catastrophe /kuh-TAS-truh-fee/
[adjective] – (of substances, materials, activities, or conditions) dangerous
Hazardous waste must be disposed of correctly.
[noun] – a person who has a position of responsibility in an organization
According to the government officials, the help will be on its way.
[noun] – the world
His ultimate goal is to travel the globe.
[adjective] – never having happened or existed in the past
This century has seen unprecedented levels of environmental damage.
[noun] – a sudden event that causes very great trouble or destruction
They had been warned about the coming environmental catastrophe.
First, the bad news: even if all of the carbon-cutting plans put in place by nations by the end of 2020 were completely implemented, the planet would still warm by 3.2 degrees Celsius this century. The UN Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, has expressed his displeasure with this discovery. “Some government and business leaders are saying one thing – but doing another. Simply put, they are lying. And the results will be catastrophic.” With such a spike in temperature, our globe will experience “unprecedented heatwaves, terrifying storms, and widespread water shortages”. According to analysts, the globe must restrict global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius or less this century to escape this catastrophe. The good news is that this newest IPCC review demonstrates that it can be done in a “viable and financially sound manner,” as Mr. Guterres puts it.
- What was the worst catastrophe you have experienced? Could you tell me something about it?
- What measures are being implemented in your country to limit climate change?
- If you were to implement a law to instantly solve the climate change issue, what would it be? Why?
- Do you agree with the IPCC review?
- How is climate change affecting the planet? Please elaborate on your answer.
- climate change