©Alamy via BBC
- What is your favorite comic book?
- Who is your favorite superhero?
- modern /MOD-ern/
- style /stahyl/
- development /dih-VEL-uhp-muhnt/
- make sense /meyk sens/
- collect /kuh-LEKT/
[adjective] – designed and made using the most recent ideas and methods
Modern technology has made our lives easier.
[noun] – a way of doing something, especially one that is typical of a person, group of people, place, or period
Her singing style is unique.
[noun] – the process in which someone or something grows or changes and becomes more advanced
We wrote an article about the development of music.
[idiom] – to be clear and easy to understand
The instructions don’t make sense to me. Could you explain them to me?
[verb] – to bring something together from different places or over a period of time
Hello, I’m here to collect the tickets I’ve reserved.
Spider-Man benefited from Sam Raimi’s own visual style: it produced a sense of nostalgia for comic books, something the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) films have tried but failed to do, with so much computer-generated imagery (CGI) and an interchangeable house style. The movie has a cartoonish design and uses techniques like montage and superimposition, and a changing collage of images shows Peter Parker’s early development of the Spider-Man costume, which is the silver screen’s response to comic books’ visual language. Raimi’s mastery of numerous genres leads to the film’s vast chain of events, which should not make sense when put together but does.
Plans for a fourth Spider-Man film were put on hold due to studio disagreements. However, in today’s world of comic-book movies, the trilogy stands out for collecting traits that have since been lost.
True or False:
- Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man produced a sense of nostalgia.
- MCU films have failed to produce a sense of nostalgia for comic books due to its use of CGI.
- The Spider-Man movie has a realistic design.
- A changing collage of images shows Peter Parker’s early development of the Spider-Man costume.
- There will be an upcoming fourth Spider-Man film.
Fill in the blanks:
- She came here to _______ the books.
- Each writer has a different writing _______ and technique.
- The homework now _______ to me. Thank you for helping me out!
- There has been significant _______ in his health.
- I’m writing a report about _______ English.