- Do you like living/to live in an apartment?
- Do you enjoy working in the office?
- private /PRAHY-vit/
- apartment /uh-PAHRT-muhnt/
- district /DIS-trikt/
- ability /uh-BIL-i-tee/
- tax /taks/
[adjective] – only for one person or group and not for everyone
He flew his private plane to Florida.
[noun] – a set of rooms for living in, especially on one floor of a building
I’ll hand over the keys to my apartment to you.
[noun] – an area of a country or town that has fixed borders that are used for official purposes, or that has a particular feature that makes it different from surrounding areas
The business district is located in New York City.
[noun] – the physical or mental power or skill needed to do something
She had the ability to simply explain things.
[noun] – (an amount of) money paid to the government that is based on your income or the cost of goods or services you have bought
The tax on cigarettes is being raised.
The Wray, which opened in May 2021 in Washington, DC’s rich Foggy Bottom neighborhood, was one of the most talked-about real-estate ventures of the year. A magnificent lobby with dramatic Art Deco décor, a rooftop terrace with fire pits and grills overlooking the DC skyline, and a penthouse clubroom with a lounge and private conference area were all part of the eight-story apartment complex. The transformation of this World War II-era tower into 158 luxury apartments stunned residents. Foreign leaders had been analyzing diplomatic cables at US State Department headquarters just two years before. A decade ago, adaptive reuse programs in factories and hotels were popular.
This adaptive reuse has the ability to both rejuvenate CBDs that have been decimated by the pandemic and to question long-held beliefs about how cities should be built. However, a number of roadblocks, including tax requirements and zoning constraints, make the shift difficult.
True or False:
- Developers are transforming vacant offices into private apartments.
- The Wray opened in May 2021 in Washington.
- The transformation of the World War II-era tower into 158 luxury apartments stunned residents.
- The adaptive reuse has the ability to both rejuvenate CBDs that have been decimated by the pandemic.
- A number of roadblocks, including tax requirements and zoning constraints, make the shift difficult.
Fill in the blanks:
- The bill includes __________ and service.
- They were trespassing on __________ property.
- She lives in a small _________.
- She works in the garment __________ of Manhattan.
- He has the __________ to do the work.