- What hobbies are interesting to you?
- How often do you talk with your friends?
- social /SOH-shuhl/
- boredom /BAWR-duhm/
- unfinished /uhn-FIN-isht/
- capture someone’s attention /KEP-cher SUHM-wuhnz uh-TEN-shuhn/
- self-doubt /SELF-DOUT/
[adjective] – relating to activities in which you meet and spend time with other people and that happen during the time when you are not working
Social events at school improve the students’ conversation skills.
[noun] – the state of being bored
Reading books help in getting rid of boredom.
[adjective] – not ended or completed
We still have unfinished homework.
[idiom] – to interest someone
The picture books were enough to capture the children’s attention.
[noun] – a feeling of having no confidence in your abilities and decisions
Shin has a lack of self-doubt. He’s confident with his singing skills.
According to a 2014 study done at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, boredom is one of our most unpleasant emotions. It’s much more difficult for people to sit in a room doing nothing when they see an unfinished jigsaw puzzle that they’re not allowed to touch. This could explain why we become irritated when we’re stuck with a “boring” person while listening to all the other interesting conversations going on around us. Unfortunately, we criticize people before they have an opportunity to capture someone’s attention. Social scientist Wijnand van Tilburg says that people are significantly more likely to judge others when they are threatened.
Someone’s self-doubt could be hidden by negatively evaluating others based on their job or hobbies. Boredom, like beauty, lies in the eyes of the beholder.
True or False:
- Boredom is one of our most unpleasant emotions.
- The 2014 study was done at the University of California.
- People criticize others before they have an opportunity to capture someone’s attention.
- Wijnand van Tilburg is a university professor.
- Van Tilburg says that people judge others when they are threatened.
Fill in the blanks:
- Mira is still filled with fear and _______.
- Were these paintings enough to _______ the kids’ _______?
- I had an active _______ life when I was younger.
- The best cure to _______ is to find an interesting hobby.
- Please don’t leave your meal _______.