©GETTY IMAGES via BBC News
- How is the temperature/weather today in your city?
- When do you turn off the lights in your house?
- advise /ad-VAHYZ/
- predict /pri-DIKT/
- electricity /ih-lek-TRIS-i-tee/
- maximum /MAK-suh-muhm/
- several /SEV-er-uhl/
[verb] – to give someone advice
I advise you to bring an umbrella when going outside.
[verb] – to say what you think will happen in the future
The weather forecast predicts rain in the afternoon.
[noun] – a form of energy that can be produced in several ways and that provides power to devices that create light, heat, etc.
This device is powered by electricity.
[adjective] – being the largest amount or number allowed or possible
The essay has a maximum number of 500 words.
[determiner] – some; an amount that is not exact but is fewer than many
I bought several books today.
True or False
- Residents of Tokyo are advised to turn off unnecessary lights for two hours.
- The Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry predicts “severe” demand for electricity.
- Summer officially starts in June in Japan.
- Temperatures in central Tokyo were above 35 degrees Celsius over the weekend.
- Some nuclear power reactors’ activities had to be paused in February due to an earthquake.
Fill in the blanks
- It’s difficult to _______ earthquakes.
- We strongly _______ you to eat more vegetables.
- It took us _______ hours to get here.
- Have we received our _______ bill?
- The elevator can hold a _______ of eight persons.