©GETTY IMAGES via BBC News
- What is the hottest place you have been to? Please tell me more about it.
- How do you conserve electricity consumption?
- heatstroke /HEET-strohk/
- severe /suh-VEER/
- capacity /kuh-PAS-i-tee/
- mark /mahrk/
- typically /TIP-i-klee/
[noun] – a condition that can lead to death, caused by being too long in a very hot place
You should take care to avoid heatstroke when traveling in the summer.
[adjective] – causing very great pain, difficulty, worry, damage, etc.; very serious
Railroads were obstructed by a severe snowfall.
[noun] – the total amount that can be contained or produced
The movie theater has a seating capacity of 2,500.
[verb] – to represent something that has happened in the past or is about to happen
Today marks my 5th year working anniversary.
[adverb] – used when you are giving an average or usual example of a particular thing
The Philippines’ temperature in the summer typically ranges from 25 to 32 degrees Celsius.
June marks the official start of summer in Japan when daily maximum temperatures typically fall below 30 degrees Celsius. Over the weekend, temperatures in central Tokyo rose above 35 degrees Celsius, while Isesaki, a city to the northwest of the capital, set a record at 40.2 degrees. The nation’s electricity supply has been limited ever since certain nuclear power reactors’ operations had to be paused in March due to an earthquake in Japan’s northeast. Authorities have also shut down a number of old fossil fuel plants to cut down on carbon dioxide emissions. These issues, and an increase in energy usage, have led to a power shortfall.
- Starting at what time did the Japanese government advise people to turn off unnecessary lights?
- By what percentage is the additional electricity generating capacity for Tokyo and eight nearby prefectures expected to drop?
- When does summer start in Japan?
- What were the recorded temperatures in Tokyo and Isesaki over the weekend?
- Since when has the nation’s electricity supply been limited?
- What is your ideal temperature?
- Would you want to move to a warmer or cooler location? Please tell me more.
- What would you do if you were advised to turn off your heater or air conditioner?
- Can climate change potentially affect the consumption of electricity?
- What was the highest temperature in your city this year? How did you handle the heat?