©GETTY IMAGES via BBC News
- urge /urj/
- buffer /BUHF-er/
- margin /MAHR-jin/
- outdated /out-DEY-tid/
- consumption /kuhn-SUHMP-shuhn/
[verb] – to strongly advise or try to persuade someone to do a particular thing
We urge using this medication with caution.
[noun] – an extra supply of materials that a company keeps in order to prevent a situation where none are available
No buffer stocks are currently held in the factory, so we must produce more.
[noun] – the amount or degree of difference between a higher amount and a lower amount
There was a wide margin between the target and the output.
[adjective] – no longer useful or modern
We need to replace the computers. Most of them are already outdated.
[noun] – the amount used or eaten
According to records, water consumption decreased in winter.
Summer in Japan officially begins in June, when daily highs are normally below 30 degrees Celsius. Over the weekend, the temperature climbed above 35 degrees Celsius in central Tokyo, while Isesaki, a city northwest of the capital, reached a record 40.2 degrees. The temperature in June was the highest ever recorded in Japan. Since certain nuclear power reactors’ operations had to be suspended in March as a result of an earthquake in Japan’s northeast, the country has had a limited supply of electricity. Officials have also shut down a number of outdated fossil fuel plants in an effort to reduce carbon dioxide emissions. There is a power shortage as a result of these problems and a rise in electrical consumption.
- What is your ideal temperature?
- Would you want to move to a warmer or cooler location? Please tell me more.
- What would you do if you were advised to turn off your heater or air conditioner?
- Can climate change potentially affect the consumption of electricity?
- What was the highest temperature in your city this year? How did you handle the heat?
- hydrating (gerund)