- Do you prefer remote work to office work?
- Do you enjoy social interaction?
- setting /SET-ing/
- opportunity /op-er-TOO-ni-tee/
- disadvantage /dis-uhd-VAN-tij/
- routine /roo-TEEN/
- experience /ik-SPEER-ee-uhns/
[noun] – the position of a house or other building
Anyone who works in an office knows what a businessman is.
[noun] – an occasion or situation that makes it possible to do something that you want to do or have to do, or the possibility of doing something
Everyone will be given the opportunity to comment.
[noun] – a condition or situation that causes problems, especially one that causes something or someone to be less successful than other things or people
The lack of safe parks in the community is one disadvantage of living there.
[noun] – a usual or fixed way of doing things
At work, there is no fixed routine. Each day is different.
[verb] – if you experience something, it happens to you, or you feel it
We experienced a lot of difficulty living in the countryside.
Abi Smith, the business manager for the food company Spice Kitchen, promised never to apply for a job that required home or remote work. She said that the lack of a routine that included waking up, leaving the house, and having social interactions with others may have harmed her mental health. Carol, who works in a major US organization, said that while she could talk to people on video chat all day, she preferred being in an office setting since it seemed nicer.
According to a May 2021 survey by the American Psychiatric Association, nearly two-thirds of adults who spend at least some time working from home say they occasionally feel isolated or lonely. People who shared a home with family or a spouse throughout the lockdown reportedly experienced much fewer mental health issues.
True or False:
- Many people love the flexibility that comes with working from home.
- Abi Smith is the business manager for the food company Spice Kitchen.
- Abi likes remote work.
- Carol preferred being in an office setting.
- Adults who spend at least some time working from home say they occasionally feel isolated.
Fill in the blanks:
- He misses the __________ of army life.
- Their home is located in a nice country __________.
- We are very pleased to have the __________ to work here.
- We must evaluate whether the plan’s __________ outweigh its advantages.
- It was the worst pain I’d ever __________.