- Could you tell me about the work setups in your country today?
- Which of these two setups is more favorable? Why?
- absence /AB-suhns/
- remote /ri-MOHT/
- mental health /MEN-tl helth /
- suffer /SUHF-er/
- survey /ser-VEY/
[noun] – the fact of not existing
The kids had to look elsewhere for amusement because of the absence of television.
[adjective] – used to refer to an activity that is done away from the place where it usually happens, especially by means of technology
This is the new world of remote work.
[noun] – the condition of someone’s mind and whether or not they are suffering from any mental illness
He occasionally worries about his mental health.
[verb] – to experience physical or mental pain
Do you suffer from any allergies?
[noun] – an examination of opinions, behavior, etc., made by asking people questions
We are conducting a survey to see what our customers think of their local bus service.
Abi Smith, the business manager of Spice Kitchen, promised she would never apply for a position that required home or remote work. She said her mental health may have suffered greatly from the absence of a regular routine that included waking up, leaving the house, and participating in social interactions with others. Carol, who works in donor service for a large US organization, was shocked to learn that the organization planned to close its city office and move its staff to remote work. She said that she could spend all day talking to people via video chat, but she enjoyed being in an office atmosphere because it felt more comfortable.
According to a May 2021 survey by the American Psychiatric Association, nearly two-thirds of adults who spend at least some time working from home say they occasionally feel isolated or lonely. For 17% of respondents, that is a “persistent” feeling. Research says that people who lived with family or a partner during the lockdown had significantly fewer mental health concerns. Individual family circumstances may also affect how much a worker misses their job.
- Who is the business manager at Spice Kitchen?
- According to the passage, what may have suffered greatly from the absence of a regular routine?
- What could Carol do all day?
- According to a May 2021 survey by the American Psychiatric Association, how do adults feel about working at home?
- What was the situation for people who lived with family or a partner during the lockdown?
- Do you like working from home? Why or why not?
- Based on your experience, what are the disadvantages of working from home?
- If you were to choose between the two setups, which would you choose? Why?
- Do you believe that working from home has negative effects on mental health?
- Some people love working from home. What do you think about it?