- Do you want to be successful someday?
- Are you healthy?
- strike /strahyk/
- manage /MAN-ij/
- careless /KAIR-lis/
- decision /dih-SIZH-uhn/
- happiness /HAP-ee-nis/
[verb] – if a thought or idea strikes you, you suddenly think of it
It’s just struck me that I still owe you for the food we ate last time.
[verb] – to succeed in doing or dealing with something, especially something difficult
I can’t manage it on my own.
[adjective] – not taking or showing enough care and attention
It was my fault. I was careless.
[noun] – a choice that you make about something after thinking about several possibilities
She has had to make a number of really challenging decisions.
[noun] – the feeling of being happy
Tony brought us so much happiness over the years.
Some people can see themselves in the future as being quite similar to who they are today. These people are more likely to manage their resources better and treat others with greater integrity because they care about making their future lives easier. Others find it difficult to see themselves as extensions of who they already are, and as a result, they usually act in far more careless ways. They don’t seem to care much about the long-term effects of their decisions.
We should think more about our future selves because doing so has huge consequences for our health, happiness, and financial stability. You are more likely to take care of your body so that it will be in better health in the years to come if you are clear on whom you want to be in the future.
True or False:
- Some people can see themselves in the future as being quite similar to who they are today.
- Others find it difficult to perceive themselves as extensions of who they already are.
- Some usually act in far more careless ways.
- We should think more about our future selves because doing so has huge consequences for our education.
- You are more likely to take care of your body if you are clear on who you want to be in the future.
Fill in the blanks:
- It suddenly _________ me that I need to study for the exam tomorrow.
- It’s your own fault for being __________.
- Have they reached a __________ yet?
- I have been asked to __________ a new department.
- Our children have brought us so much __________.