- Are you concerned about your future? Why or why not?
- How do you take care of your body?
- odd /od/
- demonstrate /DEM-uhn-streyt/
- vividly /VIV-id-lee/
- struggle /STRUHG-uhl/
- consequence /KON-si-kwens/
[adjective] – strange or unexpected
The jacket and skirt seemed a little odd together.
[verb] – to show or make something clear
These data demonstrate the severity of the nation’s economic crisis.
[adverb] – in a way that is very clear, powerful, and detailed in your mind
I vividly remember the first time we met.
[verb] – to experience difficulty and make a very great effort in order to do something
I’ve been struggling to understand this lesson all day.
[noun] – a result of a particular action or situation, often one that is bad or not convenient
If you eat so much, you’ll have to suffer the consequences.
The last ten years have seen an abundance of psychological research that demonstrates that people’s responses frequently vary widely and provide unexpected details about their behavioral tendencies. Some people can vividly picture their future selves as being very similar to their present selves. These individuals are more likely to manage their resources wisely and treat others with greater integrity because they are concerned about making their future lives easier. Others struggle to see themselves as extensions of who they already are, and as a result, they frequently behave in much less responsible ways. They appear to care less about the long-term consequences of their choices because they perceive their future selves as different individuals who are little like their present selves.
We should think more about our future selves because doing so has massive implications for our health, happiness, and financial security. If you have a clear idea of whom you want to be in the future, you are more likely to take care of your body so that it will be in better health in the years to come.
- Who are the people who are more likely to manage their resources wisely and treat others with greater integrity?
- According to the passage, why do some people frequently behave in much less responsible ways?
- Why do some people appear to care less about the long-term consequences of their choices?
- Why should we think about our future selves?
- What is the result of having a clear idea of who you want to be in the future?
- Have you thought of where you will be in ten years? Could you tell me about it?
- How do you manage your finances? Please elaborate on your answer.
- What would you like to become someday? Could you tell me more about it?
- Do you believe that some people behave in much less responsible ways because they find it difficult to see themselves as extensions of who they are now?
- What do you think about the last paragraph? Please elaborate on your answer.