- Is your city populated?
- Have you already traveled to a populated place?
- population /pop-yuh-LEY-shuhn/
- peak /peek/
- developed /dih-VEL-uhpt/
- predict /pri-DIKT/
- couple /KUHP-uhl/
[noun] – all the people living in a particular country, area, or place
Rural areas housed 10% of the population.
[peek] – the highest, strongest, or best point, value, or level of skill
Prices reached a peak last month.
[adjective] – a developed country has had modern industry, transportation, etc. for some time and now bases much of its economy on services
Many businesses in less developed areas are growing much faster than ours.
[verb] – to say that an event or action will happen in the future, especially as a result of knowledge or experience
I cannot predict what will happen next year.
[noun] – two people who are married
An elderly couple live next door.
True or False:
- According to UN estimates, India will surpass China as the world’s most populous country next year.
- The world’s population will have surpassed 18 billion by November of this year.
- Population growth is not as rapid as it once was.
- The population of 61 countries will decline by at least 1% by 2050.
- China has announced that its population will begin to decline next year.
Fill in the blanks:
- The are a married _________.
- No one can __________ when the storm will strike again.
- The boys make up 55% of the __________.
- He seems to have reached the __________ of his basketball career.
- _________ countries have a lot of industrial activity.