- Do you know how to ride a bike?
- Have you seen a hedgehog?
- intelligent /in-TEL-i-juhnt/
- wildlife /WAHYLD-lahyf /
- challenge /CHAL-inj/
- research /ri-SURCH/
- environment /en-VAHY-ruhn-muhnt/
[adjective] – showing intelligence, or able to learn and understand things easily
Jack is the most intelligent student in his class.
[noun] – animals and plants that grow independently of people, usually in natural conditions
Pesticides kill birds, fish, and wildlife.
[noun] – (the situation of being faced with) something that needs great mental or physical effort in order to be done successfully and therefore tests a person’s ability
I was not ready for the challenge that faced me.
[noun] – a detailed study of a subject, especially in order to discover (new) information or reach a (new) understanding
I’m still doing research about South Korea.
[noun] – the air, water, and land in or on which people, animals, and plants live
Protecting the environment is every man’s duty.
An eight-year-old boy is cycling across the UK over the summer break in support of his favorite animal, the hedgehog. Harry Peksa, who lives in Wokingham, will ride 1,100 miles in 34 days (1,770 km). He cycles from Cornwall’s Land’s End to Scotland’s John O’Groats with his father, Nick Peksa. Harry wants to collect £5,000 in donations for the wildlife hospital Tiggywinkles. Harry fell in love with hedgehogs after discovering a stuffed toy named Hedgy and seeing hedgehogs in his garden. He said that he loved hedgehogs. Harry said that he and his father completed a challenge for Tiggywinkles two years ago. He thought of doing it again.
According to some research, kids who are encouraged in their love of animals are more likely to also love other living things, such as plants and the environment. Children who are encouraged to care for animals are more kind and understanding to others.
True or False:
- Kids can learn from animals how to become understanding adults.
- Harry Peksa lives in Wokingham.
- Harry wants to collect £55,000 in donations for the wildlife hospital Tiggywinkles.
- Harry fell in love with hedgehogs after discovering a stuffed toy named Hedgy.
- Children who are encouraged to care for animals are more kind and understanding to others.
Fill in the blanks:
- Are we doing enough to protect the _________?
- His love of nature was shown through his __________ paintings.
- The people I met were __________ and kind.
- Studying English is a _________ for him.
- He is doing research on solar energy.