- Do you prefer buying or adopting animals? Why?
- What animal do you think makes the best pet? Why?
- shelter /SHEL-ter/
- humane /hyoo-MEYN/
- breed /breed/
- inspector /in-SPEK-ter/
- treatable /TREE-tuh-buhl/
[noun] – something that gives protection, such as a building or tent, or the protection provided
Contributions will surely help animal shelters.
[adjective] – showing kindness, care, and sympathy towards others, especially those who are suffering
The regulations emphasize humane treatment for all.
[verb] – to keep animals for the purpose of producing young animals in a controlled way
He makes a living by breeding cattle.
[noun] – someone whose job is to officially inspect something
The inspector visited our school today.
[adjective] – can be cured with drugs, exercises, etc.
No need to worry. This is a treatable condition.
The dogs were being bred in Virginia by a company that later sold them to testing facilities for drugs. Due to violations of animal laws, the company was later forced to close, and organizations are now trying to find the dogs new homes. Inspectors found that some dogs were not receiving veterinary care but were being put to death for diseases that were easily treatable. Before being made available for adoption, the beagles are getting medical examinations and vaccinations.
- According to Kitty Block, how many days will it take for the beagles to be adopted?
- Where were the other 200 dogs adopted?
- Where were the beagles being bred?
- Why was the company forced to shut down?
- What did the inspectors discover?
- Have you adopted an animal? If so, please tell me more about it. If not, would you like to and why?
- Please share your thoughts on medical tests on animals.
- If given the chance, how would you help in saving the beagles?
- Should small animals (such as rats and roaches) be saved from experimentation, too?
- How can we advocate for rescuing animals from testing facilities?