- Do you eat all kinds of food?
- What kind of food do you hate?
- common /KOM-uhn/
- disgusting /dis-GUHS-ting/
- employment /em-PLOI-muhnt/
- farming /FAHR-ming/
- replace /ri-PLEYS/
[adjective] – the same in a lot of places or for a lot of people
It’s quite common to see Chinese here in this area.
[adjective] – extremely unpleasant or unacceptable
The fish had a disgusting smell.
[noun] – the fact of someone being paid to work for a company or organization
She is looking for permanent employment.
[noun] – the business or activity of raising animals, growing crops, etc. on a farm
Modern farming methods coexist with more traditional practices.
[verb] – to take the place of something, or to put something or someone in the place of something or someone else
Nothing can ever replace the way you work.
Grasshoppers are an excellent source of protein and nutrition. According to Leonard Alfonce, an entomology researcher at Sokoine University in Tanzania, they have a huge effect on improving food security, employment, and nutrition in East Africa. Insect farming should also take place all year long. Alfonce said that the sale of grasshoppers that are safe for eating is a source of income in Uganda. In general, insects are rich in vitamins and amino acids. Next are the advantages of sustainability. Insect farming has a lower carbon footprint than traditional farming because it uses much less water, energy, and land.
As per Bill Broadbent, president of Entosense, a US company on a plan to make insects part of Americans’ daily diets, insects might not completely replace meat, but they do represent a large protein source in a world that is likely to lack food in the years to come.
True or False:
- Eating crickets and grasshoppers is a common snack in some regions of Asia and Africa.
- Grasshoppers are an excellent source of protein and nutrition.
- Leonard Alfonce is an entomology researcher at Sokoine University in Canada.
- The sale of grasshoppers that are safe for eating is a source of income in Uganda.
- Entosense is a European company that plans to make insects part of European daily diets.
Fill in the blanks:
- Steel cable will be used to ______ worn ropes.
- Organic ______ is better for the environment.
- Smith is a ______ surname.
- What a ______ smell!
- He left his home to look for ______.