- Do you sometimes stay up late? Why or why not?
- Who is your favorite movie character? Could you tell me about him/her?
- stay up /stey uhp/
- episode /EP-uh-sohd/
- suffer /SUHF-er /
- satisfying /SAT-is-fahy/
- turn out /TURN-out/
[phrasal verb] – to go to bed later than usual
Did you stay up late last night?
[noun] – one of the single parts into which a story is divided, especially when it is broadcast on the television or radio
The final episode will be shown tonight.
[verb] – to experience physical or mental pain
It makes my heart ache to see her suffer.
[adjective] – making you feel pleased by providing what you need or want
It can be very satisfying to work in the garden.
[phrasal verb] – to happen in a particular way or to have a particular result, especially an unexpected one
I know things will turn out all right.
Watching a show episode after episode is enjoyable, but why is that? It’s due to the chemicals that are released in our brains, claims clinical psychologist Dr. Renee Carr, Psy.D. When you’re having fun, like binge-watching television, your brain releases dopamine. This chemical gives the body a satisfying internal reward that motivates it to keep doing that action. While you binge-watch your favorite show, your brain continuously creates dopamine, giving your body a high resembling that of a drug.
All events are recorded as authentic memories in our brains, whether they were had in the physical world, on television, in a book, or in our imagination. Therefore, while watching TV, the same brain areas that are active during a live event are also active. We become engrossed in the storylines, form bonds with the characters, and care about how things turn out.
- Why is it enjoyable to watch a show episode by episode?
- Who is Dr. Renee Carr?
- What does dopamine give the body?
- What things are recorded as authentic memories in our brains?
- What is also active during a live event while watching TV?
- Do you like binge-watching? Why or why not?
- What TV shows/series/movies do you watch nowadays? Could you tell me about them?
- If you were a character in a movie or series, who would you like to be? Why?
- Do you agree that it feels pleasant to watch a show episode after episode?
- What do you think are the benefits of binge-watching? Please elaborate on your answers.