- Do you believe in Santa Claus?
- How do you celebrate Christmas?
- bury /BER-ee/
- discussion /dih-SKUHSH-uhn/
- continue /kuhn-TIN-yoo/
- mosaic /moh-ZEY-ik/
- actually /AK-choo-uh-lee/
[verb] – to put a dead body into the ground
His parents are buried next to each other in the cemetery.
[noun] – the activity in which people talk about something and tell each other their ideas or opinions
Three main issues were the topic of the conversation.
[verb] – to keep happening, existing, or doing something, or to cause something or someone to do this
It was impossible to continue in the darkness.
[noun] – a pattern or picture made using many small pieces of colored stone or glass
The clinic has a mosaic of a beautiful scenery.
[adverb] – in fact or really
He looks young, but he’s actually in his 40s.
Where St. Nicholas of Myra’s (the inspiration for the modern-day Santa Claus) was buried has been a topic of discussion for many years. Historical records and people’s beliefs say different stories about Santa’s tomb. But Director Cemil Karabayram of Antalya’s Monument Authority and his team found what they believed to be the tomb where St. Nicholas rests. Karabayram is determined to continue to the next stage even though the discovery has not yet been confirmed. It will also be a long, difficult task to complete. Despite the mosaics on the floor, he said, “We believe this shrine has not been destroyed at all. To restore the floor to its previous splendor, each tile must be taken out one at a time.”
Santa’s legends have received a lot of attention. Yet little is actually known about how he died. Still, if the new discovery of his true burial is true, the history books will surely need to be changed.
True or False:
- There is a new belief that Santa is alive.
- St. Nicholas of Myra inspired the modern-day Santa Claus.
- Cemil Karabayram is the director of Antalya’s Monument Authority.
- Karabayram does not want to continue to the next stage of their discovery.
- Santa’s legends is not popular.
Fill in the blanks
- I don’t understand. What did she _______ say about the issue?
- She _______ her dead cat in their backyard.
- The topic is still under _______.
- If the rain _______, we’ll have to cancel our picnic.
- You’ll see a beautiful tenth-century _______ when you enter the church.