- compel /kuhm-PEL/
- populated /POP-yuh-leyt-id/
- surpass /ser-PAS/
- feasible /FEE-zuh-buhl/
- alliance /uh-LAHY-uhns/
[verb] – to force someone to do something
The law will compel employers to provide health insurance.
[adjective] – (of a place) having people living there
The island is populated largely by sheep.
[verb] – to do or be better than
Young people surpass old men in strength.
[adjective] – able to be made, done, or achieved
Your proposal sounds quite feasible.
[noun] – a group of countries, political parties, or people who have agreed to work together because of shared interests or aims
The two countries made an alliance.
The announcement represents California’s most recent action as it continues to tighten emission regulations more quickly than the US federal government. The largest US state by population is California, which has more than 39 million citizens. It would surpass the United Kingdom to become the fifth-largest economy in the world by gross domestic product if it were a separate nation. Tesla senior counsel Joseph Mendelson praised CARB’s approach as feasible and a step toward California taking the lead in electrifying the light duty sector. To increase demand for electric vehicles, the Alliance for Automotive Innovation, however, stated that more work needs to be done.
- Are you considering buying an electric car? Why or why not?
- Could you tell me about electric cars in your country?
- If you had the authority, would you transition petrol cars to EVs as soon as possible? Why or why not?
- Do you believe that the demand for electric vehicles will be higher?
- What do you think of California’s step toward combating climate change?