© BBC News
- What do you use water for every day?
- Should water be free?
- lose /looz/
- install /in-STAWL/
- power station /POU-er STEY-shuhn/
- delay /dih-LEY/
- stream /streem/
[verb] – to no longer have something or have less of something
He fell to the ground after losing his balance.
[verb] – to put furniture, a machine, or a piece of equipment into position and make it ready to use
The new washing machine will be installed by the plumber tomorrow.
[noun] – a factory where electricity is produced
Large amounts of energy are produced by the new power plant.
[verb] – to cause someone or something to be slow or late
The game’s opening was delayed due to heavy snow.
[noun] – water that flows naturally along a fixed route formed by a channel cut into rock or ground, usually at ground level
There’s a beautiful stream running through their garden.
True or False
- Mauro Fischer installs ice measuring rods every winter.
- He checks the rods throughout the summer and fall.
- Glaciers are known as Europe’s water towers.
- The water level is too low for boats carrying heavy loads in Poland.
- Power plants in France and Switzerland had to reduce their production because of water shortages.
Fill in the blanks
- They will build a coal-fired _______.
- The _______ widens into a river here.
- Many people may _______ their jobs if the company closes.
- My flight was _______ by an hour due to the typhoon.
- They _______ additional security cameras yesterday.