- What kind of job would you like to have?
- Do you easily get bored?
- industry /IN-duh-stree/
- career /kuh-REER/
- decision /dih-SIZH-uhn/
- demanding /dih-MAN-ding/
- unpleasant /uhn-PLEZ-uhnt/
[noun] – a type of business
She’s worked in the banking industry for years.
[noun] – the job or series of jobs that you do during your working life, especially if you continue to get better jobs and earn more money
He is not really suited for a teaching career.
[noun] – a choice that you make about something after thinking about several possibilities
Have they reached a decision yet?
[adjective] – needing a lot of attention, effort, or time
I’m trying to learn a new language, and I find it very demanding.
[adjective] – not enjoyable or pleasant
A very unpleasant thing has happened.
The 33-year-old Marcin knew that his profession needed a major makeover. The New Jersey-based auditor was bored of being a deskbound employee whose only face-to-face communication was via email and whose primary daily duty was to promote a company’s bottom line. He said that while looking through big amounts of data and performing the same boring tasks repeatedly every day, he was only trying to find human errors so that clients might get their money back. He believed that the job was useless. Marcin made the decision to study nursing rather than auditing. He studied at a community college for three years and spent a year in nursing school. He was happy despite how demanding, difficult, and unpleasant it was.
The Great Resignation has caused millions of people to move into new positions. Some people look for greater financial security or greater freedom, while others switch professions in order to advance their careers.
True or False:
- Workers are changing industries more frequently.
- Marcin became bored of being a deskbound employee.
- Marcin made the decision to study education rather than auditing.
- He studied at a community college for four years.
- The Great Resignation has caused millions of people to move into new positions.
Fill in the blanks:
- He tried a ______ in medicine.
- Children are so ______. They need constant attention.
- The city needs to attract more ______.
- We need a ______ on this by next week.
- He said some very ______ things.