- Do you enjoy using social media? Why or why not?
- When do you feel calm? Could you tell me about it?
- majority /muh-JAWR-i-tee/
- occupy /OK-yuh-pahy/
- content /KON-tent /
- freedom /FREE-duhm/
- addiction /uh-DIK-shuhn/
[noun] – more than half of a total number or amount; the larger part of something
The majority of the employees have university degrees.
[verb ] – to fill, exist in, or use a place or period of time
The bed seemed to occupy most of the room.
[noun] – information, images, video, etc. that are included as part of something such as a website
I follow her on social media because of her content.
[noun] – the condition or right of being able or allowed to do, say, think, etc. whatever you want to, without being controlled or limited
Children are allowed much more freedom nowadays.
[noun] – an inability to stop doing or using something, especially something harmful
He is now fighting his addiction to alcohol.
When Gayle Macdonald arrived earlier this year at a summit in Spain’s Sierra Nevada mountain range, she didn’t just stop and take it all in. Instead, the 45-year-old did what the majority of people would do: she looked for the perfect spot to take a selfie for her social media accounts. Gayle even acknowledges that while doing so, she went dangerously near the edge. She was scolded by her spouse for her behavior at that point, and she later decided to stop using social media. It bothered her that she was occupying too much mental space worrying about what to say and coming up with content. A week later, she posted a message announcing her deactivation from Facebook and Instagram. After the initial withdrawal, she allegedly stopped having cravings. It was surprisingly liberating, and she has recovered some of the sense of freedom and calmness she felt when giving up drinking.
Some people spend a lot of time on social media. Some people may believe that they should cut back on this terrible behavior, but for others, it is a true addiction that they must overcome.
- Who is Gayle Macdonald?
- What did Gayle Macdonald stop doing?
- Why was she scolded by her husband?
- What kind of message did she post online?
- How did she feel after the initial withdrawal?
- How often do you use social media? Could you tell me about it?
- Have you ever gone hiking? If so, did you reach the summit? How was it? If not, what outdoor activities do you enjoy doing?
- If you were Gayle Macdonald, would you also stop using social media? Why or why not?
- Do you agree that not using social media is liberating?
- What do you think of Gayle Macdonald’s decision? Please elaborate on your answer.