- What is your favorite food?
- How often do you eat at restaurants?
- menu /MEN-yoo/
- encourage /en-KUR-ij/
- information /in-fer-MEY-shuhn/
- control /kuhn-TROHL/
- useful /YOOS-fuhl/
[noun] – a list of the food that you can eat in a restaurant
Can I have the menu?
[verb] – to make someone more likely to do something, or to make something more likely to happen
Rewards encourage students to study harder.
[noun] – facts about a situation, person, event, etc.
Please go to this website for more information.
[verb] – to order, limit, or rule something, or someone’s actions or behavior
You have to learn how to control spending too much money.
[adjective] – effective; helping you to do or achieve something
These materials may be useful. Don’t throw them out.
Thomasina Miers explains that calorie counting is not the most accurate way to check how nutritious or environmentally friendly food is. Miers founded a chain of Mexican restaurants after winning a UK television cooking talent competition. She claimed that the restaurant has introduced carbon labeling to give customers full information about their choices. People learn from this that they have the ability to control what they eat. A “low-carbon” food has a CO2e (or “CO2 equivalent”) level of 0.6 kg or less. A “medium-carbon” food has a carbon footprint of between 0.6 kg and 1.6 kg of CO2e. Meanwhile, a higher carbon footprint of 3.04 kg CO2e is referred to as “high-carbon.”
Despite the fact that carbon labels only give us a limited amount of information, Miers believes they are a useful tool for motivating customers to consider how their food choices influence the environment.
True or False:
- Thomasina Miers believes that calorie counting is the best way to check how environmentally friendly food is.
- Miers founded a chain of Mexican restaurants after winning a UK cooking contest.
- Carbon labeling will not help people choose what they eat.
- A “low-carbon” food has 0.7 kg of CO2e.
- A higher carbon footprint of 3.04 kg CO2e is called “high-carbon.”
Fill in the blanks
- All students are _______ to learn foreign languages.
- Do you have any _______ on the concert tickets?
- Your knowledge of history may prove _______.
- This restaurant’s _______ offers many choices.
- It took the firefighters about two hours to _______ the fire.