- How often do you get a good night’s sleep? Why?
- Do you enjoy being at home? Why or why not?
- interior design /in-TEER-ee-er dih-ZAHYN/
- look into /look IN-too/
- interact /in-ter-AKT/
- contemporary /kuhn-TEM-puh-rer-ee /
- boost /boost /
[noun] – the art of planning the decoration of the inside of a building such as a house or office
She specialized in interior design.
[phrasal verb] – to examine the facts about a problem or situation
A working party has been set up to look into the problem.
[verb] – to communicate with or react to
Observe how the people in the group interact.
[adjective] – existing or happening now, and therefore seeming modern
His work is very contemporary.
[verb] – to increase or improve something
It wants the government to take action to boost the economy.
Our environment affects how we feel. From feng shui to the Scandinavian pursuit of hygge, the idea of altering the appearance and arrangement of your home to improve your sense of well-being has a long history. Environmental psychology, which is the study of how individuals interact with their environment, did not become an academic field, making it, even more, contemporary in terms of interior decorating, until the late 1960s. The concept of improving wellness through our internal environments is gaining traction. Originally prevalent in healthcare interiors, it is now permeating our homes as well as places of hospitality and leisure.
The pandemic has boosted our society’s concern for health. Surprisingly, during the lockdown, “indoors” came to signify “at home,” and as a result, many of us began to care more about how our homes made us feel than how they appeared, at least in terms of trends. As a result, a different, greener viewpoint on interior design has begun to take shape—one that places emphasis on individuality, awareness, and self-care.
- What is the modern approach to interior design all about?
- According to the article, what has a long history?
- How is environmental psychology described in the article?
- What has boosted our society’s concern for health?
- What is the result of this?
- Do you change the layout of your home? Why or why not?
- Does the layout of your home enhance your sense of well-being? Please elaborate on your answer.
- If you were to change the layout of your office, how would you like to change it?
- Do you agree that the pandemic has increased our society’s interest in well-being?
- Is self-care important? Why?