© Kanika Gupta via BBC Travel
- Do you like stew?
- What is your favorite restaurant?
- surround /suh-ROUND/
- serve /surv/
- lamb /lam/
- clay /kley/
- recipe /RES-uh-pee/
[verb] – to be around something on all sides
The house is surrounded by tall trees.
[verb] – to provide food or drinks
Breakfast is served at the restaurant from 07:00 to 11:00.
[noun] – a young sheep, or the flesh of a young sheep eaten as meat
We’re having lamb stew for dinner.
[noun] – thick, heavy soil that is soft when wet, and hard when dry or baked, used for making bricks and containers
She made a beautiful clay model of her dog.
[noun] – a set of instructions telling you how to prepare and cook a particular food, including a list of what foods are needed for this
Butter can be replaced with margarine in this recipe.
Beyond the cages and crowds is Kabul’s oldest restaurant, which has been serving chainaki, the local lamb stew, for 70 years. It offers handmade chainaki served traditionally (clay teapot). According to the restaurant’s current owner, Wahidullah, the unique taste and aroma of his rich lamb stew come from the clay teapot. In addition to the meal, you can order tea in a separate container. “They are found all over the country where weary travelers can obtain refreshments after long and dusty journeys. They are also the meeting place for the locals (men) to meet and exchange news and gossip,” food historian Helen Saberi explains.
After the Taliban took over on August 15, 2021, the restaurant continued to serve its loyal customers delicious chainaki. “Years of war not only killed people but also these traditional recipes,” said Wahidullah. “I want chainaki to become Afghanistan’s ultimate comfort food.”
True or False:
- Kafarosi Bird Market is at the center of Kabul.
- Kabul’s oldest restaurant has been serving chainaki for 70 years.
- Wahidullah explains that the unique taste and aroma of his rich lamb stew come from its sauce.
- Customers can order tea with chainaki.
- Helen Saberi is Wahidullah’s assistant.
Fill in the blanks
- I’d like to have roast _______, please.
- This _______ is good for five people.
- My grandmother used _______ to make these pots.
- This restaurant _______ authentic Japanese food.
- The mansion is _______ by high stone walls.