- Do you like thrillers?
- How is the weather today in your area?
- environmental /en-vahy-ruhn-MUHN-tl/
- system /SIS-tuhm/
- scientist /SAYH-uhn-tist/
- organization /awr-guh-nuh-ZEY-shuhn/
- thriller /THRIL-er/
[adjective] – relating to the environment
Environmental problems directly affect the quality of people’s lives.
[noun] – a set of connected things or devices that operate together
Our operating system can now interconnect with other networks.
[noun] – an expert who studies or works in one of the sciences
A scientist must produce evidence in support of a theory.
[noun] – a group of people who work together in an organized way for a shared purpose
The organization has its headquarters in Brussels.
[noun] – a book, play, or movie that has an exciting story, often about solving a crime
The film had all the elements of a good thriller.
As a heat wave spreads through the city, doctors in a fictional hospital in Seattle are drenched in sweat. The building’s overworked air conditioning system shuts off with a whoosh and a clank. Since doing procedures in extreme heat can be fatal in just a few minutes, surgery must be completed as soon as possible. According to Dr. Richard Webber, the air conditioning system wasn’t meant to be pushed this hard. In response, Dr. Addison Montgomery says that the earth was not meant to be pushed this hard. Social scientists and humanitarian organizations say that a variety of on-screen storylines, not only the occasional thriller about a climate disaster, should address global change.
But can witnessing how people in films and television shows are impacted by the effects of climate change possibly change how we view the problem as it arises, helping us to deal with it better or even changing our behavior?
True or False:
- Becca Warner is an environmental writer who lives in London.
- According to Dr. Richard Webber, the air conditioning system wasn’t meant to be pushed this hard.
- Dr. Addison Montgomery is fictional.
- A variety of on-screen storylines about climate disasters should address global change.
- People in films and television shows impacted by the effects of climate change may change how we view the problem.
Fill in the blanks:
- Do you like the new computer ______?
- The ______ deserves recognition for his talent.
- ______ protection has been a global concern.
- The ______ has a large annual budget.
- Some are more ______ than romance.