- What are some common reasons for feeling unmotivated?
- How can you create a motivating environment to boost productivity?
- motivation /moh-tuh-VEy-shuhn/
- factor /FAK-ter /
- latter /LAT-er/
- desirable /dih-ZAHYUHR-uh-buhl/
- crucial /KROO-shuhl/
[noun] – enthusiasm for doing something
Lack of motivation was the reason he couldn’t complete the project on time.
[noun] – a fact or situation that influences the result of something
The weather was a major factor in the decision to cancel the outdoor event.
[noun] – the second of two people, things, or groups previously mentioned
She was torn between going to the concert or the party, but she decided on the latter.
[adjective] – worth having and wanted by most people
Living in a quiet neighborhood with good schools is a desirable aspect for many families.
[adjective] – extremely important or necessary
Regular exercise is crucial for maintaining good health.
According to self-determination theory, there are various motivational factors, and each has its own effects. Writing a novel, for instance, because you like creating a fictional universe is very different from writing a novel to establish your ability to be published or achieve recognition. While the latter could result in feelings of inadequacy or dissatisfaction if the goal is not achieved, the first motivation will probably result in greater engagement and satisfaction in the process. The notion contends that learning and growth are inherently desirable human traits. This is important for motivation. We’re more likely to feel fulfillment in the pursuit of our goals if they are in line with our intrinsic desire to learn and improve.
Having motivation and drive is essential if we want to accomplish our goals. However, it’s crucial to consider the reasons for our goals as we set new ones for the upcoming year. We have a better chance of finding fulfillment and success in our endeavors if we make goals that are consistent with our intrinsic desire to learn and advance.
- What are the two things we should consider when focusing on new goals at the beginning of the year?
- What is the self-determination theory and how does it relate to goal-setting?
- Why is it important to consider the reasons behind our goals when setting new ones for the upcoming year?
- Why are learning and growth considered to be inherently desirable human traits according to the self-determination theory?
- Are the ideas mentioned in the passage specific to one field or are they applicable to all fields?
- What is a goal you have set for yourself in the past that had negative consequences because of the motivation behind it?
- What are some examples of goals you have achieved in the past that you felt were truly self-determined?
- If you applied self-determination theory to goal setting, would it increase the chances of success and satisfaction? Please elaborate on your answer.
- Do you agree that having drive and motivation is crucial in order to achieve our goals?
- How do you think you can apply self-determination theory to your own goals in the coming year to increase your chances of success?