I will read each question. Then, please answer them.
- What is your favorite food?
- Do you often go to restaurants?
I will read the words, meanings, and sample sentences. Then, repeat after me.
- arrest /uh-REST/
- quality /KWOL-i-tee/
- ill /il/
- shut (something) down /shuht doun/
- unclean /uhn-KLEEN/
[verb] – if the police arrest someone, they take them away to ask them about a crime that they might have committed
They were arrested for selling fake paintings.
[noun] – how good or bad something is
The food in this restaurant has very good quality.
[adjective] – not feeling well, or suffering from a disease
I felt ill, so I went back home.
[phrasal verb] – if a business or a large piece of equipment shuts down or someone shuts it down, it stops operating
The local hardware store just shut down recently.
[adjective] – not clean and therefore likely to cause disease
Drinking unclean water has many health risks.
Please read the whole article. Then, I will check your pronunciation and intonation.
The owner and head chef of an Indian restaurant in Kerala have been arrested after a customer was food poisoned. The nurse was rushed to the hospital on December 30 after eating some grilled chicken and a rice dish that she had ordered online from the restaurant. She passed away from the illness on January 2. According to the police investigation, the death was due to food poisoning, and the food had “poor” quality. The police added that 21 more people fell ill after eating at the restaurant. Food poisoning reports were also noted last week in other parts of the region. Some children and parents in the Pathanamthitta area felt sick after eating food at a school event. The food safety authority has searched more than 500 restaurants since then. 48 restaurants have shut down after it was discovered that they did not have necessary permits or were in an unclean environment. Authorities say that more inspections are expected to happen.
True or False
Read the sentences and identify if they are true or false based on the article.
- The nurse ordered food online from the restaurant.
- The nurse was rushed to the hospital on January 2.
- 21 more people fell ill after eating at the restaurant.
- The food safety authority has searched 500 restaurants since the incident.
- 50 restaurants have shut down due to the unclean environment.
Fill in the blanks
Choose the correct word from the table then fill in the blanks.
- The police have arrived to _______ the criminal.
- _______ restaurants must be reported to the food safety authority.
- He has decided to _______ the store.
- The _______ of this picture needs improvement.
- If you’re _______, go to the clinic.