- inadequacy /in-AD-i-kwuh-see/
- assumption /uh-SUHMP-shuhn/
- align /uh-LAHYN/
- innate /ih-NEYT/
- pursuit /per-SOOT/
[noun] – the fact that something is not good enough or is too small in amount
The sense of inadequacy that he felt after not getting the promotion was overwhelming and affected his confidence.
[noun] – something that you accept as true without question or proof
The assumption that technology will solve all our problems without considering the social implications can lead to unforeseen consequences.
[verb] – to be the same or similar, or to agree with each other; to make two things do this
To achieve success in a project, it is essential to align the objectives with the available resources and the timeframe.
[adjective] – an innate quality or ability is one that you were born with, not one you have learned:
Her innate ability to connect with people made her an effective leader on her team.
[noun] – the act of trying to achieve a plan, activity, or situation, usually over a long period of time
In the pursuit of his goals, he was willing to make sacrifices and work tirelessly towards achieving them.
Self-determination theory suggests that there are different sources of motivation, and each has its own consequences. For example, if you’re writing a novel because you enjoy creating a fictional world, that’s a very different motivation than writing a novel to prove that you’re capable of being published or gaining fame. The first motivation will likely lead to greater engagement and satisfaction in the process, while the latter might lead to feelings of inadequacy or dissatisfaction if the goal is not met. The theory also suggests that people have a natural desire to learn and develop. This plays a key role in motivation. “It’s based on the assumption that people are growth-oriented,” says Professor Anja Van den Broeck of KU Leuven, Belgium. This means that when our goals align with our innate desire to learn and grow, we’re more likely to find satisfaction in the pursuit of those goals.
In order to achieve our goals, having drive and motivation is crucial. But as we set our sights on new challenges in the coming year, it’s important to pay attention to the motivations behind them. By choosing goals that align with our innate desire to learn and grow, we’re more likely to find satisfaction and success in our pursuits. With the right motivations, we can set ourselves up for success in the new year and beyond.
- What is a goal you have set for yourself in the past that had negative consequences because of the motivation behind it?
- What are some examples of goals you have achieved in the past that you felt were truly self-determined?
- If you applied self-determination theory to goal setting, would it increase the chances of success and satisfaction? Please elaborate on your answer.
- Do you agree that having drive and motivation is crucial in order to achieve our goals?
- How do you think you can apply self-determination theory to your own goals in the coming year to increase your chances of success?
- pay attention