- Do you like watching science fiction films? Why or why not?
- Can you describe the sensory experience of watching 3D films?
- trace /treys/
- primarily /prahy-MAIR-uh-lee/
- movement /MOOV-muhnt/
- affect /uh-FEKT/
- alter /AWL-ter/
[verb] – to find someone or something that was lost
They traced where the money came from, and it was stolen from the company.
[adverb] – mainly
The school primarily focuses on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics education.
[noun] – a change of position
The movements of the dancers were graceful and smooth while the live music played.
[verb] – to have an influence on someone or something, or to cause a change in someone or something
The heavy rainfall affected the crop yield, resulting in a poor harvest.
[verb] – to change something, usually slightly, or to cause the characteristics of something to change
He was forced to alter his plans when the meeting was rescheduled.
Now employed to trace the emergence of diseases that limit mobility, motion capture suits were originally primarily used to bring characters to life in movies like Avatar. A new system that uses artificial intelligence to analyze body movements has been developed over the course of ten years by researchers at Imperial College and University College London. It can quickly and accurately determine the severity of diseases like Friedreich’s ataxia (FA) and Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD).
The technology can also be used to track patients recovering from other diseases that affect movement, including conditions involving the brain and nervous system, the heart, lungs, muscles, bones, and psychiatric disorders. Dr. Valeria Ricotti of the Great Ormond Street Institute for Child Health describes that she is completely blown away and believes the impact on the diagnosis and development of new drugs for a wide range of diseases could be “massive.” The way we identify and treat disorders that limit movement may be completely altered by this application of filmmaking technology.
- What is the primary use of motion capture suits?
- What specific diseases can the new AI system quickly and accurately determine the severity of?
- What is Dr. Valeria Ricotti’s opinion of the results of the new AI system?
- How might the way we identify and treat disorders that limit movement be impacted by this application of filmmaking technology?
- How long did it take for the researchers at Imperial College and University College London to develop this new system?
- How would you feel if you were a patient being monitored over time with the use of motion capture technology?
- How do you feel about the potential for this technology to revolutionize the way we diagnose and treat movement-impairing diseases?
- If this technology were to be used more widely, what potential challenges or drawbacks do you think would arise?
- Do you believe this technology can be used in the future for other diseases or conditions?
- Do you think the use of motion capture technology in the medical field is a promising development?