- iconic /ahy-KON-ik/
- completion /kuhm-PLEE-shuhn/
- constraint /kuhn-STREYNT/
- skyscraper /SKAHY-skrey-per/
- incorporate /in-KAWR-puh-reyt/
[adjective] – very famous or popular, especially being considered to represent particular opinions or a particular time
The Eiffel Tower is an iconic landmark that symbolizes the romance and elegance of Paris.
[noun] – the act of finishing something that you are doing or making
Upon completion of the project, the team will have successfully engineered an innovative solution to the problem.
[noun] – something that controls what you do by keeping you within particular limits
The constraint of limited resources forced the company to re-evaluate its production process and make necessary adjustments.
[noun] – a very tall modern building, usually in a city
The gleaming skyscraper, proof of human ingenuity and architectural prowess, towered over the cityscape
[verb] – to include something as part of something larger
The gleaming skyscraper, proof of human ingenuity and architectural prowess, towered over the cityscape.
The Ciel Tower will have more than 1,000 rooms and suites spread over 82 floors and stand at a towering 1,200 feet (365 meters) tall. The challenge for Jan and his team was to design a skyscraper for the project on a triangular plot of land at Dubai Marina with an area of only 2,500 square meters. “It’s a property that’s very compressed,” Jan said. “It’s like what you would face in Manhattan or London.” “The constraints were tremendous, and yet we had to make it work.” Jan and his team have not only risen to the challenge of designing a towering skyscraper on a small plot of land, but they have also incorporated sustainable elements into the design. The Ciel Tower will use 25% less power for air conditioning than is typical for similar buildings.
Jan emphasizes that “this project is not just about architecture.” “It’s about architecture and engineering coming together.” Visitors to the Ciel Tower will be able to take in the stunning views of the city from a glass observation deck and rooftop swimming pool, while also taking comfort in knowing that the building is energy efficient.
- Have you ever been to Dubai? If so, could you tell me about it? If not, would you like to go there? Why or why not?
- What are some notable examples of traditional architectural styles found in your country? Could you tell me about it?
- Would you be interested in visiting the Ciel Tower’s observation deck and rooftop swimming pool during a trip to Dubai? Why or why not?
- Do you agree with Yahya Jan’s statement that the project is “about architecture and engineering coming together” in the design of the Ciel Tower?
- How do you think the Ciel Tower’s observation deck and rooftop swimming pool will contribute to the tourist experience of visiting Dubai?