- Can you name three famous architects and their most famous works?
- Have you ever visited an architectural landmark or building? If so, which one, and what was your impression?
- breathtaking /BRETH-tey-king /
- ambitious /am-BISH-uhs/
- present /PREZ-uhnt /
- massive /MAS-iv /
- consume /kuhn-SOOM/
[adjective] – extremely exciting, beautiful, or surprising
The panoramic view from the mountaintop was breathtaking, leaving him in awe.
[adjective] – having a strong wish to be successful, powerful, or rich
He had an ambitious plan to climb the seven highest peaks on seven continents.
[verb] – if something presents itself, it happens
A chance suddenly presented itself.
[adjective] – very large in size, amount, or number
The massive oil spill caused irreparable damage to the ecosystem and threatened the survival of many species in the area.
[verb] – to use fuel, energy, time, or a product, especially in large amounts
The increasing demand for technology has resulted in consuming vast amounts of resources, leading to environmental degradation.
The gigantic 1,200-foot (365-meter) Ciel Tower will be home to more than 1,000 rooms and suites spread across 82 levels. Designing a skyscraper for the project on a triangular plot of land in Dubai Marina with a surface area of only 2,500 square meters presented a challenge for Jan and his team. Jan claimed that the property was severely constrained, yet they still had to find a way to make it work.
In addition to successfully creating a massive skyscraper on a tiny piece of land, Jan and his colleagues also incorporated sustainable components into the plan. Compared to similar structures, the Ciel Tower will consume 25% less energy for air conditioning. Jan is clear that this project is more than just an architectural endeavor. The topic is the fusion of engineering and architecture.
- Who is Yahya Jan, and what is his role in the architecture and engineering firm NORR?
- What are some of the buildings that Yahya Jan has worked on in Dubai?
- What is the Ciel Tower, and when will it be finished?
- How does the Ciel Tower differ from similar structures in terms of energy consumption?
- What does Yahya Jan consider the main focus of the Ciel Tower project to be?
- Have you ever been to Dubai? If so, could you tell me about it? If not, would you like to go there? Why or why not?
- What are some notable examples of traditional architectural styles found in your country? Could you tell me about it?
- Would you be interested in visiting the Ciel Tower’s observation deck and rooftop swimming pool during a trip to Dubai? Why or why not?
- Do you agree with Yahya Jan’s statement that the project is “about architecture and engineering coming together” in the design of the Ciel Tower?
- How do you think the Ciel Tower’s observation deck and rooftop swimming pool will contribute to the tourist experience of visiting Dubai?