- How often do you eat fast food?
- What are some famous fast food restaurants in your country?
- slow food /sloh food/
- encourage /en-KUR-ij/
- organic /awr-GAN-ik/
- go beyond (something) /goh bih-YOND/
- motivation /moh-tuh-VEY-shuhn/
[noun] – good food that is prepared and cooked carefully
Local ingredients and traditional cooking methods are promoted by slow food.
[verb] – to make someone more likely to do something, or to make something more likely to happen
We wish to encourage effective communication and teamwork.
[adjective] – not using artificial chemicals in the growing of plants and animals for food and other products
People are willing to spend more on organic products.
[phrase] – to be more than or not limited to something
Poor sleep results in issues that go beyond drowsiness and lack of focus.
[noun] – enthusiasm for doing something
What is the motivation for this abrupt change?
Waters wanted to offer customers good food and the atmosphere of a small restaurant, in contrast to the then-expanding industrialized and fast-food alternatives in the US. “We were encouraged by the spirit of the time. It was sort of after the Free Speech Movement, Civil Rights. And, you know, we had a lot of power over stopping the war in Vietnam. No one was interested in making money,” she said. Chez Panisse has continued to operate today with a daily menu that only uses fresh, local, seasonal, and organic ingredients, despite any early lack of profitability. She thinks that the answer goes beyond simply eating more sustainably; instead, we need to encourage “regenerative” farming methods, increase biodiversity, and improve local ecosystems.
Although 50 years have passed, Waters’ motivation to use food’s ability to raise our standard of living remains strong. She is focusing on this delicious revolution.
- What is the name of the the US’s first farm-to-table eatery in Berkeley, California?
- What did Alice Waters want to offer customers?
- What does Chez Panisse contain on its daily menu?
- According to Waters, what should we encourage?
- How long has it been since Waters first opened Chez Panisse?
- Do you prefer eating at fast food restaurants or slow food restaurants? Why?
- What do you think is more popular in your country? Fast food restaurants or slow food restaurants? Please tell me more about it.
- Would you be willing to wait for food if it was healthier and more sustainable? Why or why not?
- Do you think the idea of slow food with organic ingredients will appeal to all consumers?
- In your opinion, what distinct differences are there between fast food and slow food?