- significance /sig-NIF-i-kuhns/
- glimpse /glimps /
- unity /YOO-ni-tee/
- hold onto /hohld onto/
- heritage /HER-i-tij /
[noun] – importance
The significance of the discovery of penicillin by Alexander Fleming in 1928 revolutionized the field of medicine and saved countless lives.
[noun] – an occasion when you see something or someone for a very short time
When the curtains fluttered in the breeze, I caught a glimpse of the breathtaking view of the mountains in the distance.
[noun] – the state of being joined together or in agreement
The soccer team’s success can be attributed to its strong sense of unity, as each player worked together towards a common goal and supported one another throughout the season.
[phrasal verb] – to keep something or someone that is important or useful
Although it was difficult, I knew I needed to hold onto my dreams and keep working towards my goals, even when faced with obstacles and setbacks along the way.
[noun] – features belonging to the culture of a particular society, such as traditions, languages, or buildings, that were created in the past and still have historical importance:
The festival celebrates the cultural heritage of the community with food, music, and dance that has been passed down from generation to generation.
One of the key events of the day is the public appearance of the Emperor and other members of the Imperial Family on the balcony of the Imperial Palace in Tokyo. Thousands of well-wishers gather to catch a glimpse of the royals and offer congratulations. In addition, the Imperial Guard holds a special parade, adding to the festive atmosphere. Beyond the celebrations in Tokyo, communities across Japan organize their own festivities to mark the occasion. From local parades to traditional performances, these events highlight the importance of community and unity. This day serves as a reminder of the importance of tradition and the value of coming together to celebrate shared values and ideals.
In a world that is becoming increasingly globalized and interconnected, it is important to hold onto the traditions and cultural heritage that define who we are. The Emperor’s birthday is a perfect example of how Japan continues to honor its past while looking toward the future. By coming together to celebrate this special day, the people of Japan reaffirm their commitment to each other and to the values that make their culture so unique and special.
- How does it make you feel when you participate in or attend a festival or event that highlights the importance of community and unity, as is done during the Emperor’s birthday celebration in Japan?
- How do you react when you witness a public appearance by a member of royalty or a national leader in your country?
- If the Emperor’s birthday celebration were to be canceled for one year, what impact do you think it would have on the people of Japan?
- Do you believe that celebrations like the Emperor’s birthday help to promote national pride and identity?
- Why do you think Japan places such great importance on the Emperor’s birthday celebration?