- Do you enjoy reading books?
- Do you believe that education is important for personal growth and success?
- education /ej-oo-KEY-shuhn/
- destroy /dih-STROI/
- army /AHR-mee/
- value /VAL-yoo/
- knowledge /NOL-ij/
[noun] – the process of teaching or learning, especially in a school or college, or the knowledge that you get from this
Education is important for everyone because it helps us learn new things and understand the world around us better.
[verb] – to damage something so badly that it cannot be used
The earthquake was so strong that it destroyed many buildings in the city, leaving people homeless and in need of help.
[noun] – a particular country’s fighting force
The army is made up of soldiers who are trained to protect their country and its people from danger and threats.
[noun] – how useful or important something is
It is important to appreciate the value of hard work because it can help us achieve our goals and succeed in life.
[noun] – understanding of or information about a subject that you get by experience or study, either known by one person or by people generally
Reading books can increase your knowledge about different subjects.
Nalanda’s library was the largest in the ancient world, containing millions of manuscripts. Sadly, the university was destroyed by invading armies in the 12th century, but its legacy lives on. Buddhism spread from Nalanda, and its influence on education can be seen worldwide. Today, Nalanda is recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and serves as a symbol of education’s power to unite people from diverse backgrounds.
The lessons of Nalanda are just as important today as they were centuries ago. As our world faces new challenges, we must remember the value of education in bringing people together. Nalanda’s history is a testament to academic excellence and serves as an inspiration to all of us to continue striving for excellence in education and to appreciate the power of knowledge to create unity.
True or False:
- Nalanda was the world’s first residential university.
- Scholars from all over the world used to come to Nalanda to study.
- Nalanda’s library contained thousands of manuscripts.
- Nalanda was destroyed in the 12th century.
- Today, Nalanda is recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Fill in the blanks:
- Attending classes regularly can help you gain ______ and improve your grades.
- My sister is studying early childhood ______ so that she can become a teacher and help young children learn and grow.
- We should not ______ the environment by throwing trash on the ground or polluting the air and water because it can have harmful effects on plants, animals, and people.
- My uncle used to be in the _____, and he traveled to many different countries during his time of service.
- My grandmother always says that family is the most important ______ in life, because they are the people who love and support us no matter what.