- mode /mohd/
- chug /chuhg/
- ample /AM-puhl/
- strategically /struh-TEE-jik-lee/
- troop /troop/
[noun] – a way of operating, living, or behaving
The airplane’s mode of transportation is faster than traveling by car or bus.
[verb] – to make the sound of an engine or motor, or to move making this sound
As the train pulled out of the station, it began to chug along the tracks, slowly gaining speed and leaving the platform behind.
[adjective] – more than enough
There is ample evidence to suggest that regular exercise and a healthy diet can have a positive impact on your overall well-being.
[adverb ] – in a way that provides military forces with an advantage
In order to win the game, you need to place your pieces strategically on the board, taking into account your opponent’s moves and anticipating their next move.
[noun] – soldiers on duty in a large group
The scout troop set out on a hike through the forest, carrying backpacks filled with food, water, and camping gear.
The Kangra Valley Railway, which runs between Pathankot in Punjab and Jogindernagar in Himachal Pradesh, covers a distance of 164 km and takes around eight hours to complete the journey. The train chugs along at a leisurely pace, giving passengers ample time to take in the stunning vistas of the Dhauladhar Range and the lush green valleys dotted with terraced fields. The train also passes through 30 tunnels, some of which are over 1,000 feet long, and over 100 bridges and viaducts, making it an engineering marvel. The Kangra Valley Railway was built by the British in 1929 to connect the Kangra Valley with the main rail network. The railway line was strategically important for transporting goods and troops during World War II. Today, the railway line is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a popular tourist attraction.
Traveling on the Kangra Valley Railway is a unique way to experience the natural beauty of the Himalayan region at a leisurely pace. While it may not be the quickest mode of transport, it is definitely one of the most memorable. So, sit back, relax, and soak in the stunning vistas on this slow but spectacular train journey.
- Have you ever traveled on a slow train? If so, where did you go, and how was your experience? If not, would you like to experience it? Why or why not?
- Imagine you are a passenger on the Kangra Valley Railway and you have the opportunity to speak with a local resident. What questions would you ask them about their community and the impact of the railway on their lives?
- Do you agree that traveling on a slow train like the Kangra Valley Railway provides a more immersive experience of the natural beauty of the Himalayan region?
- What aspects of the Kangra Valley Railway do you find most appealing? Why?
- In what ways do you think transportation infrastructure, like the Kangra Valley Railway, can impact a region’s development and growth?