- Have you heard about global warming?
- Are you familiar with fossil fuels?
- fuel /FYOO-uhl/
- review /ri-VYOO/
- decrease /DEE-krees/
- development /dih-VEL-uhp-muhnt/
- generation /jen-uh-REY-shuhn/
[noun] – a substance that is used to provide heat or power, usually by being burned
Cedar trees are abundant in their town, so many families use their wood as fuel for their furnaces.
[ri-VYOO] – a piece of writing that describes the main facts in a piece of academic research
The annual review of modern engineering focused on earthquake-proof structures.
[noun] – to become less or to make something become less
The decrease in population affected the labor force.
[noun] – the process by which someone or something grows or changes and becomes more advanced
Learning how to talk is an important milestone in a child’s development.
[noun] – the production of energy in a particular form
Cleaner electricity generation could be the answer to the world’s problems brought on by climate change.
Despite this, the electricity produced from renewable sources was not enough, which resulted in the use of fossil fuels and higher carbon emissions. Additional solar and wind-generated power in 2023 will hopefully help counter this rise. This year, the decline of coal emissions from making electricity may be low, but analysts expect it to increase in the years to come. This is based on the decreasing use of gas as seen in Brazil and the increasing solar and wind generation in China.
True or False:
- Fossil fuel is good for the environment.
- Making electricity using fossil fuels contributes greatly to global warming.
- Solar, nuclear, and hydropower are examples of fossil fuels.
- The global use of solar energy increased by 24%.
- There is an increase in the use of gas, especially in Brazil.
Fill in the blanks:
- The annual technology ______ enumerated various advances in artificial intelligence.
- The ______ of electricity traditionally requires fossil fuel.
- The concrete bridge is the biggest ______ in town this year.
- He was late for work because his car ran out of ______.
- The ______ in his sales affected his monthly income.