- Are you aware that some gases can cause cancer?
- Did you know that toxic gas is used to sanitize medical devices and spices?
- limit /LIM-it/
- apply /uh-PLAHY/
- reduce /ri-DOOS/
- require /ri-KWAHYUHR/
- protect /pruh-TEKT/
[verb] – to control something so that it is not greater than a particular amount, number, or level
The store limits the number of items that customers can buy to ensure that everyone can have a fair chance to purchase what they need.
[uh-PLAHY] – to have a connection or be important
Since she is not a part of the tribe, their rules don’t apply to her.
[verb] – to become or to make something become smaller in size, amount, degree, importance, etc.
The doctor advised me to reduce my sugar intake to help lower my risk of developing diabetes.
[verb] – to need something or make something necessary
To attend the conference, it will require registration and payment of the admission fee.
[verb] – to keep someone or something safe from injury, damage, or loss
Wearing sunscreen can protect your skin from harmful UV rays when spending time outdoors.
The new rules require companies to use protective equipment and new controls to keep the amount of ethylene oxide in the air low. The EPA will listen to people’s comments on the rules for 60 days. While some groups have welcomed the move, they also say that it doesn’t go far enough to protect vulnerable communities.
True or False:
- The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) wants to limit the use of a chemical called ethylene oxide.
- Carbon dioxide is used to sterilize medical items like surgical gowns, gloves, and catheters, but it can also cause cancer.
- The proposed rules would apply to all facilities in the US that use ethylene oxide.
- The new rules aim to reduce the amount of ethylene oxide gas in the air by 80%, which is supposed to make it safer for people.
- Some groups have welcomed the move, but they also say that it doesn’t go far enough to protect vulnerable communities.
Fill in the blanks:
- Eating a balanced diet and exercising regularly can help you ______ your risk of developing certain diseases.
- To avoid getting sunburnt, it is important to ______ your exposure to the sun during the hottest hours of the day.
- To ______ plastic waste, many people use reusable water bottles instead of buying disposable ones.
- The dress code policy will ______ to all employees, regardless of their position or department.
- The job advertisement stated that the position would ______ a minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar role.