- Have you experienced using virtual reality apps?
- Do you think teenagers are safe on virtual reality social media platforms?
- allow /uh-LOU/
- unfair /uhn-FAIR/
- teenage /TEEN-eyj/
- collection /kuh-LEK-shuhn/
- effect /ih-FEKT/
[verb] – to give permission for someone to do something, or to not prevent something from happening
The teacher did not allow the use of cell phones during class to minimize distractions and encourage students to focus on their studies.
[adjective] – not fair; not conforming to approved standards, as of justice, honesty, or ethics
The employees complained about the unfair distribution of work assignments, with some feeling overburdened while others had relatively light workloads.
[adjective] – relating to, involving, or intended for people between the ages of 13 and 19
The teenage girl was excited to attend her first prom, spending weeks shopping for the perfect dress and accessories.
[noun] – the act of taking something away from a place
The library announced that it will begin the collection of overdue books starting next week, urging patrons to return any materials that they have borrowed but not yet returned.
[noun] – the result of a particular influence
The medication had a positive effect on the patient’s symptoms, reducing their pain and improving their overall quality of life.
NGOs have expressed worries about Meta’s VR programs, including the collection of data, misleading ads, and harassment. The US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is also looking into social media’s effect on teen mental health and hiring psychologists to address these issues. An FTC commissioner has acknowledged that certain social media apps can harm some teens and children.
True or False:
- Meta is allowing teenagers aged 13 and above in the US and Canada to use the virtual reality app Horizon Worlds.
- Critics believe that Meta’s safety controls are sufficient to protect young users from privacy breaches, unfair marketing, and bullying.
- Meta will make teenage users’ profiles more visible to other users.
- NGOs have expressed concerns about Meta’s VR programs, including the collection of data, misleading ads, and harassment.
- The US Federal Trade Commission is not investigating social media’s effect on teen mental health.
Fill in the blanks:
- My sister has a ______ of vintage postcards from around the world.
- Many ______ drivers experience peer pressure to drink and drive.
- The medication had a positive ______ on her chronic pain.
- The rules ______ us to bring only one bag on the plane.
- It’s ______ that they gave her the promotion even though she’s less qualified.