- Which endangered animal do you know of?
- Do you think ordinary people can save endangered animals? Why or why not?
- extinction /ik-STINGK-shuhn/
- exotic /ig-ZOT-ik /
- endangered /en-DEYN-jerd /
- widespread /WAHYD-SPRED/
- seize /seez/
[noun] – a situation in which something no longer exists
Climate change is causing many animals to face the threat of extinction.
[adjective] – unusual and specially interesting because of coming from a country that is far away
My friend brought back an exotic bird from her trip to South America.
[adjective] – animals or plants that may soon not exist because there are very few now alive
The government has implemented strict laws to protect the habitat of the endangered Bengal tiger.
[adjective] – existing or happening in many places and/or among many people
The introduction of the internet has led to the widespread availability of information.
[verb] – if the police or government seizes property or assets, they take possession of them because they are illegal, or because the owner owes money
The government may seize your property if you fail to pay your taxes.
Sung is trying to save populations such as the golden coin turtle, the beale’s-eyed turtle, and the big-headed turtle, which have become popular as exotic pets but require detailed enclosures to replicate their natural habitats. Although possessing an endangered turtle is a criminal offense under Hong Kong law, the demand for them remains high, resulting in a widespread illegal trade that involves both endangered and common species. According to the ADM Capital Foundation, which is a private research organization, the city has seized 17,900 live turtles and tortoises from illegal smugglers since 2015. Hong Kong legally imported over 4.3 million turtles and tortoises between 2015 and 2022.
- Why has Hong Kong become a safe haven for rare turtle species?
- What are some reasons for the decline in turtle populations in other parts of Asia?
- Why does Sung Yik-hei believe that raising public awareness about the predicament of these turtles may be their last chance to prevent them from becoming extinct?
- What are some of the rare turtle species that Sung is trying to save in Hong Kong?
- Why does the demand for turtles and tortoises remain high in Hong Kong, despite the criminal offense of possessing endangered species?
- Have you ever purchased an exotic pet or know someone who has? Do you think people should be more aware of the impact of their actions on endangered species?
- If you were in Sung Yik-hei’s position, what actions would you take to increase awareness about the plight of endangered turtles and prevent their extinction?
- Should Hong Kong consider banning the import of turtles and tortoises altogether to protect endangered species?
- What role do you think governments and organizations can play in preventing the illegal trade of endangered species?
- How can organizations like the ADM Capital Foundation contribute to the protection of endangered species like turtles and tortoises?