- Do you have natural wonders in your country that the government protects?
- Do you think these natural wonders are worth preserving?
- cause /kawz/
- minister /MIN-uh-ster/
- pollution /puh-LOO-shuhn/
- promised to /PROM-is tuh/
- climate change /KLAHY-mit cheyn/
[verb] – to make something happen, especially something bad
Lack of sleep can cause fatigue and make it difficult to focus on tasks throughout the day.
[MIN-uh-ster] – a member of the government who is in charge of a particular department or has an important position in it
The minister of health held a press conference to address concerns about a recent outbreak of a contagious disease.
[noun] – damage caused to water, air, etc. by harmful substances or waste
The river had been contaminated with pollution from the nearby industrial plant, leading to a decline in aquatic life.
[verb] – to tell someone that you will certainly do something
She promised to study hard for her final exams to get good grades.
[noun] – changes in the world’s weather, in particular the fact that it is believed to be getting warmer as a result of human activity increasing the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere
Climate change is causing sea levels to rise, which can result in flooding in coastal cities and towns.
Many people told the government their opinions about the mine. UNESCO also said they want the reef to be better protected. The government promised to spend a lot of money to take care of the reef and help it deal with climate change. But last year, the reef had a big problem with too much heat from the water. This was because of climate change. The new government promised to do more to help the environment.
True or False:
- The Australian government said no to a coal mine project near the Great Barrier Reef because it could cause damage that cannot be fixed.
- The Great Barrier Reef is a large group of coral reefs in the ocean near Africa.
- The mining project was going to be less than 10 kilometers from the reef on the Queensland coast.
- UNESCO also said they want the reef to be better protected.
- Last year, the reef was not affected by climate change.
Fill in the blanks:
|cause||minister||pollution||promised to||climate change|
- The factory’s industrial waste is a major source of __________ in the nearby river.
- The sisters __________ donate a portion of their salary to charity every month.
- The __________ of foreign affairs visited the neighboring country to discuss trade relations.
- The effects of __________ are becoming more evident every day.
- The heavy rainfall may __________ flooding in low-lying areas.