- Are you familiar with the Titanic?
- Would you be interested to know what happened the night it sank?
- technique /tek-NEEK/
- disturb /dih-STURB/
- data /DEY-tuh/
- huge /hyooj/
- tragedy /TRAJ-i-dee/
[noun] – a way of doing an activity that needs skill
The basketball player’s shooting technique was flawless, allowing him to score consistently from any position on the court.
[dih-STURB] – to move or change something from its usual position or arrangement
The wind disturbed the sand, creating ripples on the surface of the beach.
[noun] – information, especially facts or numbers, collected to be examined and considered and used to help decision-making, or information in an electronic form that can be stored and used by a computer
The scientist collected data from various experiments to support their hypothesis.
[adjective] – extremely large in size or amount
The elephant at the zoo was enormous, with huge ears and a long trunk.
[noun] – a very sad event or situation, especially one involving death or suffering
The sudden death of her pet dog was a tragedy that left her heartbroken.
They recorded every detail of the debris field, which is a large area where pieces of the ship are scattered. The result is a digital copy that shows both the front and back parts of the ship, which separated when it sank. Engineers now have real data they can use to understand how the ship broke apart and sank. This brings us closer to knowing the true story of what happened. The scientists took a lot of pictures and collected a huge amount of data. The information they gathered will help us understand this historic tragedy better than ever before.
True or False:
- The Titanic is a ship that sank last year.
- A recent scanning project was able to create an exact digital copy of the Titanic.
- Scientists used traditional techniques to pull the wreck of the Titanic out of the water.
- The project to create a digital copy of the Titanic is the biggest project of its kind ever done.
- The goal of the project was to find out more about what happened to the people on the ship when it sank in 1912.
Fill in the blanks:
- The library had a __________ collection of books covering a wide range of subjects.
- The car accident was a __________ that resulted in the loss of several lives.
- The child tried not to __________ the puzzle pieces, scattering them across the table.
- The __________ from the weather station indicates that it will rain tomorrow.
- The gymnast’s acrobatic __________ was remarkable, executing complex flips and twists with remarkable precision and grace.