- wreck /rek/
- refrain /ri-FREYN/
- stern /sturn /
- hail /heyl /
- tangible /TAN-juh-buhl /
[noun] – a vehicle or ship that has been destroyed or badly damaged
The divers exploring the depths of the ocean discovered the remnants of a centuries-old wreck.
[verb] – to avoid doing or stop yourself from doing something
Despite the tempting aroma, I refrained from eating the chocolate cake to stick to my diet.
[noun] – the back part of a ship or boat
The crew members worked diligently to clean and maintain the stern of the fishing boat.
[verb] – to publicly praise or show approval for a person or an achievement
The newspaper hailed the young scientist as a genius for her groundbreaking research.
[adjective] – real and not imaginary; able to be shown, touched, or experienced
The artist turned her ideas into tangible artworks that could be seen and touched.
Parks Stephenson, a Titanic expert with two decades of experience, hailed the project as a game-changer as it revealed never-before-seen details. Engineers now have access to tangible data that allows them to closely examine the mechanics behind the ship’s breakup and sinking, bringing us closer to the true story of the Titanic disaster. The expedition gathered a staggering amount of information, including approximately 715,000 images and 16 terabytes of data. This data set is estimated to be around ten times larger than any previously attempted underwater 3D model. Experts believe that this groundbreaking mapping project will mark the beginning of a new era in Titanic research and exploration. The vast amount of information gathered will undoubtedly propel our understanding of the historic tragedy to new heights.
- Have you ever been fascinated by the story of the Titanic? How do you think having a comprehensive digital replica of the wreck could change our understanding of the tragedy?
- If given the opportunity, would you be interested in exploring the Titanic wreck or other underwater sites? What aspects of underwater exploration do you find intriguing?
- Do you think it’s important to preserve historic sites like this?
- How did the team of scientists ensure that the Titanic wreck was treated with respect during the underwater scanning project?
- What are some potential benefits of having tangible data and detailed information about the mechanics behind the Titanic’s breakup and sinking?