- Which would you choose for short-distance travel: a plane or a train? Why?
- What are the advantages of traveling by plane? How about its disadvantages?
- emission /ih-MISH-uhn/
- effectiveness /ih-FEK-tiv-nis/
- usage /YOO-sij/
- worsen /WUR-suhn/
- evolve /ih-VOLV/
[noun] – an amount of gas, heat, light, etc. that is sent out
The new regulations aim to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases and combat climate change.
[noun] – the degree to which something is effective
The effectiveness of the sunscreen was evident as it protected the skin from harmful UV rays.
[noun] – the way something is treated or used
The usage of smartphones has increased dramatically over the past decade.
[verb] – to become worse or to make something become worse
The heavy rainfall is expected to worsen the flooding in low-lying areas.
[verb] – to develop gradually, or to cause something or someone to develop gradually
The caterpillar will evolve into a butterfly through the process of metamorphosis.
Rail travel in Europe has witnessed improvements, including new high-speed routes and enhanced efficiency. Challenges like high prices and limited frequencies prevent the change from air to rail. To encourage greater rail usage, suggestions include improved connectivity between intercity rail and airports, combined tickets, and increased competition. The debate on decarbonizing the aviation industry continues, with advancements in clean flight technology showing potential for short-distance flights. As the climate crisis worsens, the discussion will evolve, taking into account environmental, social, economic, political, and technological factors.
- Why has Europe been avoiding short-distance air travel?
- Are France and Austria successful in limiting short-distance flights?
- Why is aviation’s contribution to climate change significant?
- What challenges prevent a change from air to rail travel in Europe?
- How can rail usage be encouraged?
- Have you been on a short-distance flight? Tell me about it.
- How effective do you think the measures implemented by France and Austria to limit short-haul flights have been? Why?
- Do you believe it is important to prioritize greener options and reduce the environmental impact of the aviation industry?
- How significant do you think the contribution of the aviation industry is to climate change?
- Do you think the limitations on short-haul flights are enough to address the larger issue of long-haul flights and their emissions? What other measures or policies do you think should be considered to reduce the environmental impact of long-haul flights?