- Do you feel extreme temperatures or weather conditions in your surroundings?
- Does climate change have any impact on wildlife and ecosystems?
- confirm /kuhn-FURM/
- reduced /ruh-DOOST/
- predict /pri-DIKT/
- pattern /PAT-ern/
- rise /rahyz/
[verb] – to prove or say that something is true
The weather report confirms that it will rain today.
[adjective] – less than before or less than usual
I have a reduced amount of homework today, so I can relax.
[verb] – to say that an event or action will happen in the future, especially as a result of knowledge or experience
The weather forecast predicts rain tomorrow, so don’t forget to bring an umbrella.
[noun] – a particular way in which something is done, is organized, or happens
The cat’s fur has a striped pattern with alternating black and white lines.
[verb] – to move upwards
The sun will rise in the morning and bring light to the world.
True or False:
- Rising seawater temperatures in the UK and Ireland can lead to stronger storms and extreme weather events.
- The impacts of rising seawater temperatures on marine ecosystems are not a concern for scientists.
- The warming of the seas poses a risk to marine life, including the possibility of widespread fish mortality.
- Reduced winds and lower pollution from shipping are some of the natural factors causing the increase in seawater temperatures.
- The Met Office predicts a decrease in tropical storm and cyclone activity in the North Atlantic due to higher surface temperatures.
Fill in the blanks:
- The _______ number of seats available in the cinema made it difficult to find a place to sit.
- The weather _______ in this region is usually hot and dry during the summer months.
- The temperature is expected to ____ significantly in the afternoon.
- The fortune teller ______ that you will have a great day ahead.
- The doctor’s examination _________ that the patient had a broken arm.